Notifications

NPC Foe To-Hit?  

RSS

egabriel
(@egabriel)
New Frog Customer
19/08/2019 4:07 pm  
What is the intent for NPCs (in published adventures) who have class or multiclass levels? Are they intended to attack as monsters per their HD, or as characters per their level?

I use the "Quick Method for Ascending AC Combat" for PC rolls. Should I use it for classed NPC foes? Under Monsters:Attacks it says " Note: if you are using the “ascending AC
system,” do not bother using the chart, because there is a quicker
way: Roll to hit, add the monster’s hit dice, and if the result is
equal to or greater than the character’s armor class, the attack hits." But maybe that is just for things statted as monsters?

I did n.b. the entry under Elf, "In any case, the Referee should not bother trying to fit an idea of “advanced” Elves into the constraints of character classes – just assign their attributes to fit the concept. Non-player characters are not subject to the rules that govern building a player character; they are tools for good fantasy." but I specifically mean NPC foes found in FGG adventures.

On one hand, these NPC types are usually not fully statted and don't have e.g. strength bonus etc. On the other, a 12th level Magic-User rolling d20+12 to hit is sort of crazy. I am onboard with not overthinking NPCs per PC rules and if I make my own, I just assign an HD. But I don't know what's intended in the FGG modules.

Shadow Demon
(@shadow-demon)
New Frog Customer
21/08/2019 12:40 am  

The monster HD is not used for leveled NPCs use the specific class attack. The unfortunate thing is the short stat-block in an adventure doesn’t give this info.

ReplyQuote
Shadow Demon
(@shadow-demon)
New Frog Customer
26/11/2019 3:39 pm  

I recently looked at Tegel Manor & Sea King’s Malice in S&W. The use of class levels in a NPC is a major design flaw in playability. It creates an incredibly clunky dynamic during play. In the end, 5e nailed this perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Shadow Demon
(@shadow-demon)
New Frog Customer
26/11/2019 10:00 pm  

As an alternative addition to the S&W short-stat block, NPCs with class levels should include an entry for the attack bonus (AB). For example, here is a stat from Tegel Manor (p. 6).  Note the AB includes the strength bonus noted under Special. In an instant, the stat-block completely avoids referencing p. 44 of S&W Complete.

Ranold Rax, Male Human (Ftr8): HP 51; AC 3[16]; AB +6;  Atk heavy mace (1d6+1) or throwing dagger x2 (1d4+1); Move 12; Save 7; AL C; CL/XP 8/800; Special: +1 to hit and damage strength bonus, multiple attacks (8) vs. creatures with 1 or fewer HD.

ReplyQuote
Varsuuk
(@varsuuk)
New Frog Customer
08/01/2020 2:55 am  

I was always used to checking my DM screen for class attack tables when it wasn’t a monster. At least until they changed it up a bit in 2E with plain THAC0

ReplyQuote
Share: